Invisible

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Life is Good

I found this draft post from last December:

Well, this year hasn't been particularly "cheery" for me. It's been a hard one in fact. Imagine having a bunch of awesome dreams and goals finally about to come to fruition. Such an exciting time! But wait! Oh sorry. I guess you're going to have to hold out even longer. Maybe even a few more years. But don't worry. Trials give you strength. Right? Maybe after they make you a heck of a lot weaker.

But enough about that. The reason I'm writing this post is because despite this weak time in my life (which I'm sorry about), I need to find myself again. What makes me happy? What brings out my spunky youthfulness (which is quickly disappearing)? What inspires me to love and serve others? What inspires me period?

Yep, that's where I was. Almost an entire year of feeling let down in life. What a drag! Through some fortunate events, I was able to find myself (after I forgot I was trying to), and now I'm being reminded of my purpose. 

So who am I? Brittney Kay Hartshorn. I had no idea how "country" I was until I moved to the city. But hey! Sometimes you don't recognize who and what you are until that part of you is challenged. Living in the city has been a challenge, but in a good way. I now know, without a doubt, that I am a country Idaho girl. Anywhere I go I will always love mountains more than buildings, country music more than well, anything, pickup trucks more than sports cars, wide open spaces more than life itself. I LOVE being a country girl. I desperately want to get back to the country life. (Working on it.)

What is my purpose? Well, I decided this a while ago, but I keep forgetting it. I've been reminded several times lately that I need to be a better friend. I love people. I really do. But I let my own agenda get in the way so often. It will take me a lifetime to get to the point I want to be, but a little improvement here and there will hopefully be enough. My purpose is to be a Christ-like friend to everyone around me, and to make life a little better for a few people on this journey called life. It's hard as heck sometimes. But it shouldn't be. I just need to remind myself daily of who I am, how to be happy, and how to help others be themselves and be happy too. 

I'm sooooo grateful for the experiences and people who have helped me realize who I am and what I am doing here. It's so great to be happy. I'm sorry for the many mistakes I've made and continue to make. At the very least, I am grateful to be moving forward and to have a way to be happy. I definitely attribute this to Christ's Atonement. Compared to a year of unhappiness, this year has been quite the opposite. It's awesome to know that it's possible to find real peace in this world. I hope (and will do all I can) to not return to the up-and-down type of life I have lived. Now on to being a better friend!

Also, as a side note, I hiked Mt. Timpanogos yesterday. Just another reminder of my love of the mountains :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment